At the beginning of 2019, in the Ämari base the Estonian Air Force received the first of the two C-145A aircraft (AFSOC-specific variants of the PZL Mielec M28), which were donated to Estonia as a part of the Excess Defense Articles (EDA) program under a contract with the US Air Force Special Operations Command. PZL Mielec will provide service support for both aircraft.
The official ceremony took place on March 12 at the Ämari air base near Tallinn. Estonian Minister of Defense Jüri Luik and chargé d'affaires of the US Embassy in Tallinn Elizabeth Horst attended the event. The second aircraft will reach the Estonia later in 2019.
Acquiring of two aircraft will increase the capabilities of the Estonian Air Force to realize various tasks, including transport, pilot training and observation. C-145A is perfect to Estonian conditions thanks to the ability to operate on unpaved surfaces and short airstrips.
The received plane was produced in PZL Mielec in 2009. In the last ten years, it was used by the US Armed Forces and participated in many missions, including Afghanistan. First aircraft were transferred at the base near Tallinn on January 11th. The delivery is part of the Estonian Armed Forced program modernization for 2020-2023.
Before both aircraft start their job, they must be adapted to the standards of safe operation required in NATO and the EASA area. Estonian Air Force cooperates with PZL Mielec in terms of servicing the planes. The contract for the supply of spare parts and service work was signed at the end of the last year.
With over 80 years of experience, PZL Mielec as a part of the Lockheed Martin and Sikorsky Aircraft Corporation group, provides high quality and on time delivery of all its products and services. As an Original Equipment Manufacturer, PZL Mielec is capable of manufacturing aircraft from scratch to final products adaptable to further developments and solutions.
With its own PART 145 Approved Maintenance Organization (AMO), PZL Mielec provides services in the following areas:
- Pratt & Whitney Canada PT6 engine hot section inspection
- Laboratory services
- Magnetic deviation corrections on compass rose
- Inspections by means of non-destructive testing (NDT) methods
- Periodical inspection of Pratt & Whitney Canada PT6 engine fuel injectors at a control stand
- Special processes
- Machining and sheet forming services
Our aircraft test and research center offers a wide spectrum of complex ground and flight test services such as:
- Electromagnetic compatibility (EMC) testing
- Onboard flight instruments testing and calibration
- Transponder interrogator DME, TCAS, TACAN, VOR, ILS, GS, LOC system testing
- Digital recording of flight parameters
- Video surveillance and recording
- Measurements of physical quantities
- Contactless temperature measurements
- Videoscope inspections
- Fatigue testing of mechanical elements
- Mobile inspections of aircraft devices and structures
- Environmental (vibration, climate) testing of systems and devices.